On Tuesday, after our run, Carlos and I were walking to my house and we saw the littlest old woman I have ever seen and she was carrying the greatest load of sticks that seemed virutally impossible for her, and on her back at that! We just walked right past her, I said that we should have helped her, but we didn't turn back and offer help. So on Thursday we went for a run again. I was really tired from my day and running was a serious accomplishment so we are walking back and we see the old woman again. This time we offer help. I take the giant tree trunk from her hand and Carlos takes the huge weight of limbs from her back. With my broken spanish and a ton of help from Carlos we talked with the woman the 1/2 mile up the hill to her house. Her name is Carlista and she lives in a little shack next to the Catholic church that looks like Noah's Ark.
Now you may think I am crazy after this but I felt the Holy Spirit right there in me and all around me as we were saying our goodbyes to Carlista. It is very hard here sometimes to remember the reason the Lord brought me here. I get in a routine, just like back home, and life here becomes a job and a chore. Carlista was a God send and a reminder that I am here because not every place is like good ole Oklahoma. Where the majority of people you meet and come across in your daily life are believers.
I don't know who all of you remember Roc. A friend of mine and Adie's from City Rescue Mission. But that man changed my life and now Carlista is reminding me of that change. I plan to visit Carlista and invite her and her family to church. Please be praying for her. And be praying for me, I don't want to lose sight of why I am here again.
"Religion that God accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
- - James 1:27
Oh Roc. I know that you changed his life as well, and that you will certainly do the same for Carlista, even if it's just your (& our)prayers. Love you and miss you!
ReplyDelete